Classroom Innovation Suggestions Made Easy!

Use this resource to collect ideas for classroom innovation and share your feedback. There will be periodic descriptions, clips or links to the latest innovative practices for the classroom.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tech. Tuesday- April 3

Hello!  I am celebrating the fact that I am actually able to post a Tech. Tuesday on Tuesday.  Yea!!!

Recently, one of our colleagues asked me if I knew anything about PBworks (online collaboration tool).  I responded with what I knew and asked what he wanted to learn about it.  He said something that really rang true to me.  He said, "Like everyone else I need to establish an online class presence, so I’ll be looking at options over the summer."  His casual reference to the notion that everyone (meaning educators, especially) needs to establish an online class presence really got me thinking.  I happen to agree with him, by the way.  However, there are really two issues here. 

First, is the need for educators to have an online presence.  This is sometimes referred to as on online footprint.  Education tech. expert, Will Richardson, worries that too many educators are "un-Googleable."  Without a web presence, teachers cannot model appropriate and effective "search portfolios" for their students.  Anyone can Google you at any time... and your students certainly will.  In addition, in order to solidify one's place in online or extended professional learning networks, Richardson advises us that we must be "findable."  This means we must be participating.  It is no longer acceptable to just close the door and do what we do.  http://edweek.org/tsb/articles/2010/10/12/01richardson.h04.html.  

Are you "Googleable?"  I checked.  When I Googled my name (both of the last names I have used of late), I found a few interesting things.  Most notable, however, is that there is Sheila Robitaille who has been in some trouble in Florida lately.  Yikes!  Not as much about this Sheila Robitaille as I would like though.  I also Googled some of you.  So far, Malcolm is by far the most "Googleable" of all of the names I checked.  What this tells me is that I need to "participate" more.  I am resolved to do that.  Will you?

Secondly, teachers who embrace the characteristics of the 21st Century Educator cannot help but have an online class presence, in my opinion.  If you want to know more about those characteristics, try this link: http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/leading_from_the_classroom/2011/0/are_you_a_21st_century_teacher.html
What does this mean?  It means that your class (an extension of you) and its content is present and useful on the web at all times and that students can access that content whenever they need to.  I recently read an article on cleanapple.com entitled, "Ten reasons every teacher should want a website."  While an online web class presence can be in the form of a website, it does not have to be.  However, the "reasons" that a teacher would want one are basically the same as why every teacher would want an online class presence.  Some of the most important include:
1.  It's an easy way to meet the needs of many students who have accommodations or IEPs.  Have you looked at the list of possible accommodations lately?  So many of them could be provided by simply posting your notes and assignments on an online class management system.
2.  This creates an archive of your class.  Using an online class management system, you can not only collect and archive your handouts and articles, but you can keep your websites, electronic presentations, multimedia resources, etc. in one handy place.
3.  You now have the ultimate answer to "What did I miss?"  In fact, you won't even have to answer that question.  So many of our students must miss class due to co-curricular obligations.  When you are using an online class management system, those students can stay up-to-date on their own.  The responsibility is on them!
4. It is a venue for give and take.  You won't just use your online classroom to communicate with your students;  they will use it to communicate with you.  You can give prompts, respond to their questions, give feedback, take feedback and allow them to collaborate with each other.
5.  It is the best way to start using technology in engaging ways.   As you get into the habit of updating your online class, you may start finding ways to expand your class outside of the walls of Ashbury.  This is a prime example of integrating technology as a tool and not a thing.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment